Our Cells Regenerate at Surprising Rates
One of the most amazing things about our bodies is that they are constantly renewing themselves. Many of our cells regenerate in order to repair damage and replace old worn-out cells, but the rate at which they regenerate can vary widely. Although the cells of our skeleton can take an average of 10 years to replace themselves, our blood cells are replaced every 4 months, our skins cells replace themselves every 2 to 4 weeks and the lining of our stomach and intestines replaces itself every few days. Not every cell in the body is renewed during our lifetime, but enough of them regenerate to make us wonder why we age.
Although it is still not completely understood, aging appears to be a process of hormonal changes and decreasing ability of our cells to regenerate and our body to heal. However, we are learning through the study of epigenetics (how environment influences the outward expression of genes) that the process is also very connected to our lifestyle habits. In other words, our genes are not the whole story. The field of epigenetics, which has been exploding in the past decade, is at the leading edge of health science exploration today.
We Can Change the Way Our Genes Express Through Our Diet
Research done by Dr. Randy Jirtle in 2003 illuminated a clear connection between maternal diet and disease in the offspring, not by genetic mutation but purely by affecting whether the gene is turned on or off. This was a huge discovery. In other words, we now know that we can change the way our genes express through our diet.
Since aging is so clearly affected by disease processes such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer, the corollary is that we can change how our body ages by devoting some time and effort to the things we know reduce our risk of these degenerative diseases. Here’s the condensed version.
The Top 3 Things That PROMOTE Aging:
- Toxic exposure – exposure to chemicals that are damaging to our cells, whether by ingesting them, breathing them or coming into contact with them, is bound to tax our body’s ability to heal and take a toll on how our body functions. The hard part is knowing what chemicals are safe and how to avoid the unsafe ones. It does take some effort, but each week you can investigate a product that you use regularly and see if you can find a safer, greener version. A little hint: start with the plastic in your life!
- Sedentary Lifestyle – Life is movement. Period. You have to move every day. And going to the gym for an hour does not make up for 8 hours of sitting at a desk. Get up and move whenever possible. Movement triggers the release of helpful hormones, feel-good brain chemicals, natural pain killers, lymphatic drainage of toxins and building a stronger, healthier body … just to mention a few of the many benefits.
- Too little OR too much Stress – It is an enlightening but well-kept secret that every part of our body requires challenge to function optimally and to strengthen. The immune system needs to be challenged by invaders; the muscles need to be strained a little to become stronger; the bones need stress to grow denser and on it goes. The trick is to find that sweet spot of just enough challenge but not enough stress to cause too much breakdown and damage to the body.
The Top 3 Things that REDUCE Aging:
- Movement (Exercise). We have learned in recent decades the type of exercise performed influences which hormones are stimulated and which are suppressed. It also varies from person to person which exercise is the most suitable for their physical and metabolic makeup. In general, the current understanding is that high intensity interval training for short periods of time is the most beneficial for anti-aging.
- Organic, Whole Food Nutrition. Healthy diet regimes vary widely from person to person. For the majority of people looking to slow aging, it will be important to adhere to the following:
- Avoid processed and refined foods (foods that have been altered, had chemicals added or important nutrients or fiber removed)
- Eat substantial amounts of organically grown, plant-based, whole foods
- Keep your 2 to 3 daily meals within 12 hours of the day.
- Fasting can be beneficial for anti-aging, but there are parameters to follow and it really should be done under the supervision of a doctor if you have any current health issues.
- Certain phytonutrients (nutrients from plants), are anti-aging as well – particularly those that are antioxidant (help avoid damage to cells), anti-inflammatory or assist the healing of body tissues. See below for a list of products I carry that fit this bill.
- Physical, Mental and Emotional Challenge. What are the types of challenges our bodies require? I sound like a broken record, but it really is going to vary by person. In general:
- Reasonable exposure to harmful bacterial and viruses will help build your immune system (unless you take antibiotics).
- Exercising to the point of muscle soreness will help to build stronger muscles.
- Learning from mistakes builds wisdom and experience.
- Facing and dealing with crisis builds character and resilience.
- You get the point…..
Anti-Aging Products Available at Whole Health Solutions
Regeneplex from Standard Process: Systemic skin health product that works from the inside out by combining key ingredients from whole foods.
- Targets all three layers of skin, the circulatory and digestive systems
- Supports skin elasticity and appearance while helping address fine lines around the eyes
- Provides support for cellular rejuvenation
- High in antioxidant vitamin C
Trizomal Glutathione from Apex Energetics: A breakthrough new product with three ways of delivering your body’s main antioxidant, glutathione
Herbavital from MediHerb: Contains Grape Seed, Korean Ginseng, Ginkgo and Milk Thistle
- Promotes vitality and stamina in older adults
- Supports cognitive function and normal memory function
- Supports healthy circulation in mature men and women
- Supports healthy liver function
- Provides antioxidant activity
Vitanox from MediHerb: Rosemary, Green Tea, Turmeric and Grape Seed
- Provides strong antioxidant support
- Supports healthy circulation and vascular integrity
- Maintains healthy connective tissue
Boswelia Complex from MediHerb: Boswellia, Celery Seed, Ginger and Turmeric
- Synergistic combination of anti-inflammatory herbs
- Supports healthy joints and circulation
- Provides antioxidant activity
Withania Complex from MediHerb: Ashwaganda, Licorice, Skullcap and Korean Ginseng
- Maintains feelings of general well-being when experiencing temporary stress
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Promotes vitality and stamina in people of any age
- Supports the body’s natural defenses against emotional and environmental stressors
Remember, you can always reach out and schedule time with me. I am here to help you create your BEST LIFE, from the inside out! Call (540) 899-9421 or email email@example.com.